Tuesday, May 30, 2006

and the answer is....

$31.63

A woman went into a bank to cash a check. By mistake the teller gave her dollars for cents and cents for dollars. She put the money in her purse. On the way home she gave a beggar a nickle. When she got home, she found that she had exactly twice the amount of the check she had cashed. She didn't have any money in her wallet before going to the bank. What was the exact amount of that check?

The amount must have been $31.63. She received $63.31. After she dropped a nickel there would remain the sum of $63.26, which is twice the amount of the check.

No, I did not figure this out. I'm a librarian, all I do is find things.

No more rye and cokes for Chess.

1 comment:

g said...

CHECK YOUR E-MAIL HAL.
I'm not sure where you would check first so I am trying to cover my bases.

I could use the phone but this is what makes technology phun ;)