Sunday, October 03, 2010

La Barriere Report

It rhymes with derriere. Which is what a few folks ended up landing on when the 16 mini barrier run-up did not work out for them. But a few spills is par for the course. That course is a keeper. Lots of flowing twists and turns made up for the soft ground/long grass/60 kmh headwind wind slog at the top of the hill. We should definitely return there next year. Thank-you Gary for refusing to take no for an answer.

For the FGBC, the B race was a bipolar affair. The Mennonite Lady won her second race of the season. It almost looked easy. She is riding strong this year. On the other hand, Cousin Adam's race was over before he even completed his first lap. He rolled a tire in one of the first corners. Done. Cousin Thomas survived a close encounter with a poorly placed tree stump to finish solidly in the middle of the pack. In the A race, the sweetest jersey in the world was kept off the podium for the first time in a long time. The Cricket is still waiting for a new shifter. Riding Mrs. Cricket's bike, he got off to a good start. But after about 6 laps, somebody must have leaned against the breaker and turned off the power. It looked like he was riding backwards when I passed him. The Cricket was not smiling. When the Cricket is not smiling, you know it's got to be real bad. But he hung on to finish 7th. We are not worried. He will be back. I had a worse start, but managed to claw back a few spots to finish 5th. Jonny G waged an intense battle with the man who used to comprise one half of Team FGBC Halberto. Now we know him simply as The Backstabber. Jonny ended up losing to the Backstabber. That hurts. There were plenty of mangled bikes at the finish line, thanks to errant twigs and blown down course tape. At least we came out unscathed on that front.

Up next: The inaugural Manitoba Grand Prix of Cyclocross. Two races in two different rural communities. Oct. 16th we head to St Malo to try out a new course that Halberto and Gianni can't stop raving about. And then the second largest cyclocross race in Manitoba--aka Southern Cross--goes down on Oct. 17. It's a big weekend. So big, in fact, that we need a week off to prepare for it.

Token photos:










Note the supportive spouse on the left with the cowbell




Sadly, KK's run of bad luck continued. Bike troubles.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

If anyone seen my FGBC wool blowing in the wind, or accidentally picked up an extra size Large (I think) wool, let me know. It is mine. If you are holding it ransom, I am willing to pay any price.

What: Missing sweetest sweater in the world.
Size: Large (not extra large)

g said...

I found an extra large.

possibly someone took your large by mistake.

o.k. everyone check.

halloewen said...

I don't think backstabber is really describes the situation so well. There are more interesting lables: double-crosser, renegade, fifth columnist; turncoat, defector, deserter; collaborator, informer, mole, snitch, double agent; Judas, Benedict Arnold, quisling; snake in the grass, two-timer, rat, scab, fink. I'm sort of leaning towards double-crosser (seems apt for cross season) or that I am quisling.

That was some cross race, woohoo. What was really cool is the way the everybody came together to make the race happen - kudos to all who helped with the planning and setup (the cross community really rocks). Even more impressive was seeing 20+ people help with cleanup. A special thank you to Gary whose enthusiasm and energy made the whole race this weekend a really great time.

The Dark Lord said...

True, Halberto. But Backstabber is more, well, divisive. We still love you though--in a prodigal son sort of way.

Anonymous said...

Man oh man that was a great day. I agree with Hal, the riders in this province have really take the community to another level. Can this cross season get any better? yep in two weeks .................

I would also like to say Gary is doing an excellent job. I'm impressed with his ability to get the roadies out and hang with us. The fog riders have been in strong showing this year and thats sweet.


Dallas " I wore a hole in my cowbell Sunday." Sigurdur

Kevin B said...

I had no plans on racing yesterday, but I gotta admit, after doing a quick pre-race lap, I was blown away at how FUN and flowy that course was. WOW! I can't believe it, but I actually wished I had been racing (did I actually just type that?) I hope that feeling goes away...

Seriously though, HUGE props to all those who stepped up to make that race happen. That course rocked. I know Gary didn't do it alone, but he is THE man for getting it together.

Brad the Impaler said...

Yes, Gary IS the man.

It sucks that I have to work on the 16th and miss out on all the sweet prizes for the two race-ers. I can get a note from my boss...


Kevin, stop denying your inner cross racer and come and play. We need another guy to hammer off the front in B to give us someone to chase.

Anonymous said...

I confirm all above statements to be true.

Brad, I think you might be sick in two weeks anyway. Just saying.

Gary S said...

Huge props to the cyclocross community. That would not have been possible without the help of so many people. Special thanks to Hal and to Allan Robertson both of whom were out to LaBarriere a number of times with me.

Great job everyone!

Anonymous said...

hes not the backstaber. you and your gang have not satisfied his need. you have abandoned him. you cant control your people with fear. the sweetest jersey in the world, sure it's nice, but please the rhetoric is making me want to ...
by the way i can't believe i missed the menno cross. it looks to be the sweetest course in the world, shit.

the secretary said...

Hi Anonymous, You forgot to add your name. It's ok to come to our sandbox to lay smack as long as we know who you are.
Secretary

The Dark Lord said...

I don't know if it's heartening or disheartening. But it is at least interesting to know there is at least one person out there who takes this stuff seriously.

Have you ever met Elizabeth?

Perhaps you would be interested in contributing a weekly column. A view from the other side of the fence, so to speak. Let us know.

Anonymous said...

G, mine has a hole in the back of one of the armpits along the line between the sweet black and the accent white. Is that it? Mine my be XL. I don't really know.