Monday, April 23, 2007

grand beach report

another lonely race...

beautiful day for a race, not quite the 11C and rain they were calling for earlier in the week. day started early because i offered to help with course setup; lindsey picked me up 7:00, off to get donuts from tim's, pick up tomek, and on the road by 8:00. thankfully paddy did a bunch of the preliminary work on friday, but it still took over an hour to tape, sign, and clear body impaling branches and such.

this would be my first race in expert and first on the 29er, and these will be only firsts i will see all season. the pace is quicker, as to be expected, but it is still the same race experience with crowded single track sections, jockeying for position, and world of hurt - only this time it lasts longer. overall i was pleased with how i finished; not last and within respectable time of some of the riders who i want to stay with. would have been a couple of more positions down on the list if kevin braun and dale cramer did not blow tires. the only thing i can gripe about is losing to this punk (see his race report here) by a second. pictures here.

more "you only need one" video action here by the "mostest bestest unicycle chick ever" (that's how the people in lincoln describe her).

2 comments:

The Dark Lord said...

Nice work, mr. expert. I'm fully expecting to have to change my identity to dr. last place. But I suppose I should get to a race first. Ain't going to get better if you don't give it a go. Wednesday at BHP it is.

PaddyH said...

ya, I didn't have a saw with me on friday...nevermind that I seemed to spend most of the morning chasing race-tape down every hill as it unroolled like too much toilet papar....good times...looks like I'll be at the shoppe wednesday night after all....racing starts in May for me...indeed...