Sunday, October 05, 2008

Curse at the Crab

I finally got to my first race in NC. Curse at the Crab is a six hour race, part of a local Fat Tire Fest. 3-9pm, which meant the last 2 hours were in the dark. Sweet course for this sort of race. Twisty, lots of roots, good flow, and not too much elevation. Not unlike Bur Oak, I suppose, but more climbing and less tight. Just over 11 kms per lap. And only 20 min. from our place. I raced in the singlespeed class. There were 9 of us. It started out pretty good. After 4 laps, I was 2nd. I got passed when I was struggling to get my light mounted and to find the tylenol for my aching back. I never caught up, but managed to stay in 3rd for the next couple laps. And then it got dark. Apparently something has happened to my light. It wasn't great to begin with, but now it seemed to cast as much light as a pair of MEC turtle lights. And it kept cutting in and out. When you're dodging trees and it cuts to black, that's not good. All of a sudden my 40 min. laps were over an hour. Finished lap 7, still in 3rd, 10 min. before the cutoff, so had to go out again. Got caught and passed by another ss'er about a third of the way through. Damn. And then another one, but it turns out he was the leader and was lapping me. So still 4th. Finally managed to grab the wheel of a dude with decent lighting and managed a faster pace to the end. 8 laps. 4th place. Good times. Results here.







Earlier in the day, J-man had a blast at the Take A Kid Mountain Biking Day festivities. Harlan Price is real fast, and a really cool guy too.





4 comments:

halloewen said...

looks like it was a blast. love the format of including some night laps - racing and riding in the dark is a lot of fun. too bad about the lights though, one of the reasons i went and bought the dinotte lights, i was never really impressed with the night hawk systems.

halloewen said...

oh by the way congrats.

Anonymous said...

We're missing you at the cross races but it looks like your givin'er down there.

By the way Johnny put me down hard on Saturday and then manned up and raced "A" Sunday. Man if we could only get that kid a bike that didn't have down tube shifters he'd be a few places farther up.
My wife also suggested we lend his wife our cannondale but it seems to be shes a little taller than sherry who's 5'8". So I don't know how that would work.


Dallas " time to move back to "A" and take my beating like a man." Sigurdur


Oh and next check I'm buying the lights Alberto lent me for 9 mile so I don't have to be a freeloader anymore.

PaddyH said...

nice work Chris!