Friday, October 24, 2008

Maredsous 8

Quite possibly the best Belgian brew I've ever tasted. Of course, that only says so much. There are several thousand varieties I've still yet to sample. It's a life-long research assignment. But the Mardesous 8 was good. If FGD were brewed in Belgium, this is what it would taste like. Kind of a cross between Old Peculier and Duvel. Sadly, it's no longer brewed at the Abbey. The monks ceded the brewing operations to Duvel in 1963. I don't recall seeing it at the Belgian Club. It's got an FGBC colour scheme, so I think I'd have noticed. But it would be worth inquiring about.

I had it at a place called Tyler's Tap Room, while watching the home team Devil Rays (the Bulls are their AAA team) even up the World Series last night. They have an impressive 40+ beers on tap, and a whole bunch more in bottles. Check out the menu. This is only what they have on tap, not the bottles. Too bad the atmosphere sucks. And the tunes too. Let's just say it's no F&H. Between Tyler's and Sam's Quik Shop, there's a lot of exploring to do.

Is brewmaster Dave brewing up anything good these days? I guess it's probably Sweet Nikki Brown time.

No comments: