Thursday, October 16, 2008

Thursday Anticipation

1) Southern Cross is nigh. Who is going? I wish I could be there. Make sure to take lots of pictures.


Yes, I know "competitive" is misspelled. But don't look at me. I didn't make this poster. My correctly spelled efforts were rejected. Not that I'm bitter or anything. Just deeply wounded.

Spelling errors notwithstanding, Johnny S has got the hype machine revved up into turbodrive. It sounds like he's got a super sweet event planned once again. See below for an article that appeared in the local Altona paper a while back. The radio interview on CFAM is tomorrow. If any of you Winnipeg race promoters would like some tips on how to put on a race, I'm sure Johnny S would be willing to share his wisom at the post-race soiree on Sunday. If provincials is indeed at the Forks, as has been rumoured, that would be a huge opportunity to get some media coverage. Winnipeg media loves the Forks.
Gearing up for Altona cyclocross

By Greg Vandermeulen
Friday October 03, 2008

You don’t have to be a professional to have fun riding a bike. That’s the message Jonathan Sawatsky is trying to get out to the public as he organizes Altona’s second annual Southern Cross cyclocross race.
Last year the event attracted close to 60 riders of all ages, but Sawatsky said he would love that number to grow. “I’m hoping to get a lot more kids and first timers involved,” he said. He described the race course as “an obstacle course for bikes”, which includes grass trails, pathways, ditches, sand, mud, hills, bridges and even barriers which force cyclists to dismount and carry their bike.
Organizers and participants were very pleased with last year’s event, and Sawatsky said he hopes this one is even better. “I love riding bike and want to promote it as a fun and healthy way to get around,” he said. “We had great participation last year and the elite racers raved about the course and the community support.”
Sawatsky said kids in Altona did show an interest. “There were more kids riding in the Altona race than all other cyclocross events combined,” he said. “I’m hoping more local riders get involved, both kids and adults. It’s a good opportunity for people to try something new.”
The only necessary equipment is helmets, and Sawatsky said you don’t have to have the most expensive mountain bike to take part. “Any bike will do,” he said.
To help attract entrants, an introductory session will be held on Saturday, Oct. 18 at 1 p.m. at the park.
The main event takes place the following day at the Centennial park with the kids races starting at 1:30 p.m. The kids races are in two categories, ages 9-13 and eight and under. The 15 and 30 minute adult races start at 2 p.m. and the 45 minute race starts at 3 p.m.
Registration starts at 11:30 a.m. and ends 30 minutes before each race.
Registration is free for kids and only $10 for adults.
Well done, Johnny. I hear the print edition was accompanied by a photo of some good-looking red head. If that doesn't bring out the masses, I don't know what will.

2) As much as I'd love to be racing the sweetest cyclocross course in the world, at least the North Carolina chapter has some racing to look forward to. The NCCX season kicks off this weekend with races on Saturday and Sunday. Saturday is at a BMX park, which could be fun. Jonah and I are signed up to do both. I'm racing masters 35+. It seems like they usually get a field of 40+ for the masters race. By all accounts, the cx scene here is pretty awesome. But they could use a bit more work on the posters, don't you think?


OTT: The Violet Archers, Tired

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greg Vandermeulen? That sounds like a great name for a Belgian cross racer. I think I have him on my team...

I am planning to attend Southern Cross, and have room for 3 others.


Brad

Anonymous said...

I'm definitely heading out and plan on picking Paddy and Naomi up on my way out. Please delay the start a few moments as it might take me some time to get back for lethbridge:)

Dallas " I'm doing a and b this weekend suckas." Sigurdur

El Presidente said...

Have a good time everyone. I'm positive Jonny has scrounged up a fine event but unfortunately by Bro-in-laws wedding prevents my attendance. If Jonny promises any prizes make sure you get them.

David "still waiting for my new shower caddy" Sawatzky

mhandsco said...

I'm there.

Coach Dave said...

It has been soooo long since I rode a bike I don’t even remember how to brake. Who needs to brake anyway. Ahhh well I will try and be there anyway.

Slow-Fat-Dave.

Olli said...

Yeah...and I sold all my bikes already...I made a fixie mixie by joining a BMX and a hybrid together and I'll be wearing basketball shorts because I can't squeeze in my bibs...

Anonymous said...

Funny, I've been riding like crazy.... but I ain't racin'... go figure, I finally might have had a chance!

Next year I hope to try cross.

that dave said...

owen and i will be racing. see y'all there.