Friday, July 14, 2006

fixies are for fakes

So it looks like fixed gear bikes have hit the mainstream. I suppose we should have seen this coming. We've seen them popping up all over the place. There are 5 or 6 on my block alone. And here we thought Winnipeg was just a cutting-edge kind of place. I think there may even be a few FGBC members who ride em. That bike in the picture looks really familiar. But now the onus is clearly on their shoulders to show that they're not just cheap posers or a bunch of sorry refuse-to-grow-old guys looking for an adrenaline fix. When the Wall Street Journal runs an article on fixies, their cool factor takes a serious hit. Bummer. Maybe gears don't signify loserdom after all. Anybody wanna buy a cheap fixie?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is it even possible to find a mountain bike with 28 gears given current configuration possibilities?

2 comments:

the secretary said...

confirms my position that fixies and ss are about status within a reasonably elite community... so much for reasonably elite now...

The Dark Lord said...

Of course there's nothing elite about $2000+ full sus. bikes.