Tuesday, September 12, 2006

dope

Our boy Floyd seems to be emerging from his recent self-imposed media exile. His legal team filed a motion to dismiss the case against him yesterday, claiming that "the analysis in this case is replete with fundamental, gross errors." He also made an appearance at a race in Pennsylvania and is heading to the Vuelta to watch his teammates as they close the book on Phonak's dubious history. It sounds like he's hopeful about how this is all going to play out: "I do feel confident," he said. "Things are going to be fine, for sure. First of all, I'm confident because I know I'm innocent. Secondly, if, like I've been told, they're going to give me a fair hearing, then things will be cleared up." It's also good to hear the fight back in his words: "I have to win the Tour de France again so I can celebrate it the way I was supposed to."

Full coverage and here and here. For more on the filing, click here. All this and more--way more--catalogued in Trust but Verify.

Darryl promises to make a pilgimage to the Landis household when he's in Akron sometime in the next little while. Shall we add another jersey to the order for him to take as a gift?

Meanwhile, Frankie Andreu and another anonymous Postal rider have admitted they took EPO while riding in support of Lance at the 1999 Tour. Long story in the New York Times. Something tells me this is going to get ugly.

And yet David Millar won the time trial at the Vuelta on Saturday without even so much as an IV needle in his arm. Or so he claims.

Back to more important matters: nice ride last night. A bit of a mixer, as FGBC regulars Johnny G, Johnny N, Darryl, Vic, and myself were joined by Paddy, Tomek, and Dave. Climb-fest at Garbage Hill. Ask Paddy how high he got up that first big dirt hill on his fixie. Don't bother asking me how far I got. F&H was hopping for a Monday evening. They still look to be giving this sports bar thing a go, as MNF replaced the good music we have come to expect. I suspect this experiment is doomed to fail. But maybe we can convince them to run the Tour next year and the F&H can become the 2007 TdF headquarters. FGD at 6am as Floyd wins atop Alpe d'Huez!

The jersey order will be placed today. Start the countdown.

No comments: