Monday, April 22, 2013

2013 Spring Classics Pool Wrap-Up

After 17 races and over 5500 points, the overall victory in the 2013 FGBC Spring Classics Pool came down to a scant 5 points. That is the vicarious racing equivalent of winning a race with a bike toss at the finish line because your tire tread is slightly less worn out. But anyone who's ever heard Bill try to start a lawnmower might invoke another, slightly more crude term to describe the thinness of the gap separating first place from second. Regardless of the preferred nomenclature, the Halfrican held on to take a very close win ahead of Prince Dan. The VP Style was a distant third, with Little M and Joe rounding out the top 5.

As for the final race of the season, I won that one. King Andy and Bill were second and third.

Full results and overall standings here.

I guess this means that the Giro is just around the corner. Check back for info on the 2013 FGBC Giro d'Italia Pool sometime soon.

3 comments:

Peter said...

I just want to point out the appropriateness of an half-Ethiopian winning the pool the same year that someone from the first African cycling team wins a classic. Chris, you can send all the swag I won to me at EMU or to my new address in Boulder, home of cycling champions.--the halfrican

The Dark Lord said...

Sadly, there were no prizes offered this time around. Then again, when we have promised prizes in the past, our record for delivering on those promises is spotty at best. But remind me to buy you a beer at Floyd's Fondo to celebrate your big achievement. And remind me again next spring when I show up in Boulder for a week of riding.

Maybe some day we'll see an African team win a classic with a rider who is actually African. Or at least Halfrican. I'm pretty sure Gerald Ciolek is neither of those things.

The Dark Lord said...

Speaking of which, check out who won stage 2 in the Turkey today.

Short profile here.