Tuesday, February 24, 2004

Can't Afford Enough Money for the Fucking Bus?

Or something to that effect were the words that came hurtling at me as I stood in the slush on the side of the road in front of my house in order to let the rusty red Taurus drive by. I was caught so offgaurd that all I could do was smile, hop back on my bike, and ride on. A month ago I was accused by a colleague at work of being inconsiderate because I ride my bike to work in the snow. On the one hand, I can't for the life of me understand what it is that arouses such passionate anger among those we are trying to share the road with? On the other hand, I know perfectly well as I almost daily unleash foul-mouthed tirades directed at moronic motor vehicles--though mostly underneath my balaclava.

Yesterday, a Duke University MD/PhD student set some sort of first in US legal history in becoming the first person to be awarded significant damages for an accident that resulted in using his bike as traffic. I think he got a quarter of a million dollars, but unfortunately also some severly broken bones. I suppose that's kind of like a backward step in the right direction.

Wait a minute. I'm supposed to be the technical director and race organizer, not the bike advocacy geek. We need someone else to take up the charge. Nominations will be held this evening at the F&H.

No comments: