Sunday, September 09, 2007

542 Cross


I participated in a nice event yesterday, the 542 Cross, which was organized by CycloCrazed - a group out of Bellingham WA. 542 is the highway number which one takes to travel east from Bellingham up to Mt. Baker. Today was the 542 Hill Climb race which had 675 registered racers, so the cyclocross race yesterday was very low key in comparison. About 50 racers gathered in the shadow of Mt. Baker at Silver Lake Park for the inaugural 542 Cross. The course was maybe a mile around - with some fun twisty single track and barriers right at the start - followed by a long loop around a field, with some hay-bales to climb over. There were no long running sections, so they tried to put some extra barriers in the course. Lots of nice bikes to admire. My race was not dramatic, and had the expected result - being the caboose will be my location until I actually make an effort to get in shape. But it was great fun and a good workout in a beautiful setting. I was hapy to be flagging the sweetest jersey in the land. The next race is "Muerto Cross".






4 comments:

The Dark Lord said...

Yes, Jonny. Yes.

Any chance you'll be travelling out this way sometime during the fall. Would be nice to organize a race, say Menno-cross, for when you're out.

halloewen said...

Well done Jon. Looks like a beautiful setting. Are you still in the market for a new (or newer bike)? Let me know, I may have something for you if my cousin backs out. It would work for well for both mountain biking and 'cross.

Neuf said...

As a matter of fact I will be coming out this fall - Nov. 4-7. I haven't bought my ticket yet, but I don't imagine getting into the 'Peg until the early evening of the 4th. I would be happy just to do a Tuesday night ride on the 6th - I imagine it will be to early for Nordic Cross to have started. Beyond that we are looking at February for a week of family vacation in the 'Peg - which may offer up a better opportunity for participating in a cross race or 24 hours of ass.

I am still looking around for bikes - and negotiating about budget. I saw a nice sized Surly Double-Cross the other day - which was kinda sweet - any opinions on that one? If you have a bike coming available - I would welcome the details.

The Dark Lord said...

My first choice for 24 Hours of Ass. is Feb 23-24. If that doesn't work, maybe the previous weekend (16-17). But it'll have to be one of those two.

And we'll plan a special Tuesday Night Ride for Nov. 6.