Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Snow?

I was just walking back to the library after my lunch break and for a brief moment you could see small white flakes falling from the sky. And then it stopped. But for a few seconds, at least, you could actually say it was snowing. Wierd. Definitely not your average November weather. High of only 4 C. today. I even busted out the gloves for the ride in this morning. I just thought you folks in Winnipeg might like to know that. The funny thing is, the stores are probably out of milk, bread, and other "essentials" by now. Once, during half-time of a Duke basketball game, I ran to the supermarket to pick up some beer. There was a light dusting of snow falling. At the checkout line, I started to get the sense that everyone was looking at me like I was from another planet. The weight of their collective gaze was palpable, and I was starting to feel slightly claustrophobic. And then I realized I was the only person in the entire store purchasing something other than milk and bread. People down here go crazy about snow and cold. They've been wearing toques and parkas for weeks. Crazy southern folk. At least there's one thing that allows us to cultivate a sense of superiority.

11 comments:

PaddyH said...

I thought we were superior because we are awesome

btw, it's +18 here, fyi

The Dark Lord said...

Right. But our awesomeness is at least in part determined by our ability not to freak out when it gets a little chilly. We'll be back at 18 soon. I'm a little worried that the skinsuit might be a little warm for NC style cx. But I'll wear it anyway.

PaddyH said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
PaddyH said...

sorry, I meant awesome in the whole-encompassing fashion(which means no weather-based psycho-billy freakouts)

as far as your skinsuit goes, a bottle of Hot Sportsbalm should add some R value.

The Dark Lord said...

It's cold sportsbalm that I'll need. I'm looking for less R, not more.

PaddyH said...

sorry, I meant Red...but I'm sick...and dumb.

The Dark Lord said...

Whoa. I'm getting dizzy.

PaddyH said...

story of my life....

g said...

I thought the TNR comments were awsome. Mindless blog banter is fun.

PaddyH said...

which is why we're awesome....

there, full circle.

Luc said...

i thought we were awesome 'cause we flipped out about the weather...