Sunday, October 19, 2008

NCCX #2: Cary

Lesson of the day: be careful what you wish for. Yesterday's lament about a rather blase course was more than adequately compensated for today. The course was a gem. I might even go so far as to say it's one of the better ones I've raced on. That it was in a park instead of an open field was the first mark in its favour. Tough off-camber swtichback descent, steep and long run-up, volleyball sand-pit, tight chicanes, lots of roots to throw you around, and some fast trail through the forest with just enough tight corners to keep you on your toes. Sweet course. Not sweetest course in the world sweet. But sweet nonetheless. Perfectly suited to expose my less than stellar bike-handling skills.

It started out well enough. I was right there in the top five off the start. Unfortunately, that lasted for all of five seconds. I was just starting to feel pleased with myself when the dude in front of me rolled his tire (on a straightaway) and swerved right into my path. The front of the pack morphed into the back of the pack in a hurry, as fifteen riders blew by while I was trying not to run him over. By the end of lap two, just as I was getting close to rejoining the main pack, I knocked my helmet with my bike as I was picking it up for the run-up. One of the rear straps came undone. By the time I got it fixed, the train I was chasing was long gone, and so was any chance of salvaging a decent finish. Still, it was good times all around. Two races in two days. Always nice to race with a decent sized group.

20th out of 27. Full results here (why no times?). I guess they don't list DNFs. There were 32 at the start line. Let's say 20th out of 32, then. It sounds a little better.

Did I mention there are lots of real fast dudes down here?

No photos today. The rest of the gang stayed home. But here's another one from yesterday. Just because it reminds me of that race Jonny N did last year in Washington. Wasn't it called tractor cross? I have absolutely no recollection of that tractor (at least I think it's a tractor), but apparently I rode past it 9 times.


Sadly, the next several races are all 2-3 hours away. I won't make it to all of them, but there will be more.

How was Altona?

No comments: